Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Andre Gunder Frank

...is no more. The Monthly review carries a short remembrance by his close associate Samir Amin. I never got around to read any of Gunder Frank's books, though I did read Wallerstein and Samir Amin, with whom I broadly agreed with their ideas on the 'world capitalist system'.

I recall that his book "R e O R I E N T: Global Economy in the Asian Age" was decisively demolished by the East Asia crisis of 1997. That created a barrier and I could never actually read any of his works.

I am also reminded me of another wonderful contemporary Marxist Slavoj Zizek. I ran into him on the LRB few months back and will probably collect more links to his articles. This particular one was a comparison between the two totalitarianisms: the Nazi and the Soviet. Needless to say, I much liked the article.

No comments: